Posted on June 27, 2017
Hints for Void Quest
A number of people are stuck on my Adventure Jam 2017 entry, Void Quest. The puzzles are pretty hard, especially if you haven’t played these kinds of games before. I tried to signpost the puzzles well, but I may have failed at times. Or maybe you don’t have tons of free time to walk around and figure things out! So without further ado, here are some hints. Highlight/select each bullet point to get ever more “spoilery ” hints about a problem.
How do I get the story started!?
- How do I get the story started!? Take that todo list on your wall!
How do I change from day to night?
- Go to bed (assuming you don’t have anything to do, and aren’t stressed out by anything)
I want a listening device!
- You were gonna get one via mail order, but you procrastinated. Look around your cabin.
I want something to see in the hole!
- Well, your lantern might help a bit. But…
- You really want something better. You were so distraught after the incident with fido and the tree, that you failed to notice something on that darned tree. Easier to see in daylight!
- I wonder who put that there? Maybe they had a way to view pictures too.
How do I carefully lower things down the hole to explore it?
- There’s another thing that has stuff lowered into it. Parts of it are broken, could be useful.
- It’s the crank on the well! And it fits over the hole.
- You’ll also need something under your front porch.
- It’s a spool of fishing line! Look at the crank and the spool in your inventory.
I need a stamp!
- Check your mailbox.
- Postcard. And it didn’t get postmarked!
- Remove it from the postcard. Carefully…
- With some heat.
- By heating your iron on the stove.
I need some cash!
- Did you find a note from your neighbor?
- The note blew into the stump you tried to pull.
- Who stole the cash? Where is this squeaky thief now?
- The thief has a little hole on the top right of his screen. It’s in there.
How do I get gas for the truck?
- Make sure you have performed your other tasks first.
- Have you lowered both a mic and camera? Did something happen afterwards?
- One of those things that “happened” might be the tractor’s gas tank. It landed nearby.
- Might be easier to find at night. What was attracted to the colors on the tractor?
- THE ANSWER:
- The fireflies show where it is in your front yard at night.
How do I get the truck keys?
- They’re on the same screen as the truck.
- At night is a good time to see them with your lantern.
- They’re in the well. Oh, but they’re just out of reach.
- They float (wooden keychain). Change the water level in the well?
- You’ve got a container that can carry liquids, don’t you?
Some other questions:
What’s that little mouse for?
- It’s leading you to something. Might make more sense if you found your neighbor’s note. Which blew onto your property…
- into your stump.
What are those black shapes I see sometimes at night?
- I dunno… it’s a mystery?
That pile of rocks? Any purpose?
- It’s just fun to throw things in the hole I guess.
Is there any purpose to the fireflies?
- Yup. They subtley hint at something which is important later in the game.
What’s the deal with the hole? Who made it? What’s in there?
- Haha, nice try. What’s in there? Well, (most of) your tractor, for starters. Maybe you’ll have to play Cascade Quest to find out more.